The hearty beans add texture and bite to the smooth creaminess of this soup. Pair it with vegetables and some bread for dipping and a complete meal.
- Serving Size: 1 cup or 1/6 of recipe
- Recipe Makes: 6 servings
- 1 16-ounce can of white beans
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 1 cup water
- 1 15-ounce can of pumpkin
- 1 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg, allspice, or ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Blend white beans, onion, and water with a masher or blender till smooth.
- In a large pot, add the pumpkin, juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, black pepper, and salt. Stir.
- Add the blended bean mix to the pot.
- Cook over low heat for 15-20 minutes, until warmed through.
1 cup or 1/6 of Pumpkin and Bean recipe provides:
- 140 Calories, 0.5 g. Fats. 0 g. Saturated Fats, 110 mg. Sodium, 28 g. Carbohydrates, 7 g. Fiber, 7 g. Protein
For kids 2-4 years old, serve food in the following way:
- Make sure onions are chopped in bite-sized pieces, a size of 1/4-inch or less.
- Take the white beans out of the portion you serve the children. Whole beans choking hazards.
- Puree, blend or mash all ingredients in this recipe. Firm, smooth, or slippery foods like onions and beans can slide down kids' throat before chewing.