A yummy, refreshing salad for any time of the year!
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Recipe Makes: 6-10 servings
- 6-8 large kale leaves with stems (or 6-8 cups loosely packed leaves without stems)
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon of any variety vinegar
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt* (or mayonnaise**)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (optional)
- 1/4 cup grated, shredded or powdered Parmesan cheese***
- 1 cup croutons, premade****
- Wash kale in cold water.
- Hold the tip of the stem furthest from the leaves, and gently pull leaves from the stem.
- With clean hands, tear the leaves into bite sized pieces. Place leaves in a medium-sized bowl.
- In a medium-sized bowl, place mustard, vinegar, yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, and lemon zest (optional).
- Whisk or stir with a fork until mixture is creamy.
- Pour half of the dressing over the kale.
- With clean hands, firmly massage and crush the greens to work in the dressing. You know you're done when the greens look darker and shiny.
- Add the rest of the dressing, Parmesan cheese, croutons and serve.
1 cup provides:
- 185 Calories, 13 g. Fats, 2.5 g. Saturated Fats, 180 mg. Sodium, 11 g. Carbohydrates, 2 g. Fiber, 6 g. Protein
This recipe contains milk, eggs, and wheat.
*If you are allergic to milk-based yogurts; switch 2 tablespoons of yogurt for 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise. You can also try soy, almond, or coconut-based yogurt.
**Mayonnaise contains eggs. If you are allergic, switch 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise for 2 tablespoons of yogurt. Or, choose an egg-free or vegan option.
***If you are allergic to milk-based cheese, try soy-based cheese or other dairy free alternatives.
****If you are allergic to the wheat in croutons; try nuts, seeds, beans, rice or other gluten free grains, dried fruit, or other gluten-free alternatives to top your salad.
For kids 2-4 years old, serve food in the following ways:
- Rip kale into half inch pieces.
- Make sure croutons are softened by the salad dressing and cut into half inch pieces.