This authentic, 5-star recipe is tasty and easy to make!
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Recipe Makes: 10 servings
- 1 onion (medium, chopped)
- 1/2 green pepper (diced)
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil (vegetable, olive or canola oil)
- 1 14.5-ounce can stewed tomatoes
- 1 16-ounce can black beans or beans of your choice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cup brown rice (instant, uncooked)
- Sauté onion and green pepper in canola oil, in a large pan until soft. Do not brown.
- Add tomatoes and beans (include liquid from both). Add oregano and garlic powder. Bring to a boil.
- Stir in rice, and cover with a lid.
- Reduce heat to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and let stand for 5 minutes.
1 cup of Caribbean Casserole provides:
- 183 Calories, 3 g. Fats, 0 g. Saturated Fats, 190 mg. Sodium, 35 g. Carbohydrates, 5 g. Fiber, 6 g. Protein
For kids 2-4 years old, serve food in the following way:
- Take the beans out of the portion you serve the children. Whole beans are choking hazards.
*Picture from Pinterest.com