This spin on your classic tostada recipe can be ready in a snap!
- Serving Size: 1 toastada
- Recipe Makes: 4 toastadas
- 2 cups cooked turkey (cut into bite-size pieces) or 2 cups ground turkey (browned in a skillet and drained)
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning (chili)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup refried beans (low-fat or fat-free)
- 1/4 cup Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese (shredded, low-fat)*
- 1/2 cup tomatoes (chopped)
- 1/2 cup lettuce (shredded)
- 2 tablespoons onion (chopped)
- 1/2 cup taco sauce
- plain yogurt (low-fat or fat-free, optional)**
- guacamole (or mashed avacado, optional)
- Wash and prepare vegetables.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, combine turkey, taco seasoning, and water.
- Bring mixture to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place tortillas on a cooking sheet. Bake at 375°F for 4-7 minutes or until tortillas are crispy.
- Spread tortillas with a tablespoon of beans. Top with 1/4 meat mixture and cheese.
- Return tortillas to oven to cook for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Top with tomatoes, lettuce, onions and taco sauce. Garnish with yogurt and guacamole, if desired.
1 tostada provides:
230 Calories, 4 g. Fat, 1 g. Saturated Fat, 420 mg. Sodium, 20 g. Carbohydrates, 3 g. Fiber and 26 g. Protein
- Note: Recipe Analysis includes light turkey meat without skin
This recipe contains milk.
*If you are allergic to milk-based cheese, try soy-based cheese or other dairy-free alternatives.
**If you are allergic to milk-based yogurt; try soy, almond, or coconut-based yogurt.
For kids 2- 4 years old, serve food in the following ways:
- Stringy, melted cheese is a choking hazard. Exclude it, if you need to.
- Cut tostadas into bite-sized, 1/2 inch portions.
*Picture from What's Cooking USDA Mixing Bowl